Saturday, January 9, 2010

We had to wake her up and try getting her to eat something, so she had some banana and water. Having her able to look at us and make eye contact was an over joyous moment! See her little boot? Thats where they gave her an IV after they tried to poke her hand with no success.
Her little body is busy reseting it's self. I guess the convulsions and the brain activity from a seizure is almost equilvalent to her running a marathon. She was wiped after.

I'm actually exhausted right now but can't sleep. This has been a long day for our family and the stress, emotions and anxiety of it all have just worn me out.
Brooklynn came down with a fever this afternoon and it escalated so quickly that she was rushed to the Children's Hospital in an ambulance. I was on the phone with Calgary Health Link after she had thrown up a few times, and she became very lethargic and almost unconscious. It was only minutes after that she went into convulsions and was having a febrile seizure. The nurse on health link transferred me to 911, and then that's when they dispatched paramedics.
It was so scary for Jason and I to see our baby girl like this. She wasn't able to look at us, or notice her surroundings, she didn't respond to our voices and was having trouble breathing, she was even starting to go blue in the face when the ambulance arrived.
Jason and I just kept praying the whole way, and watched our little girl get hooked up to some tubes and oxygen and lay there on a stretcher looking lifeless. This was the hardest thing I have ever had to witness and another hard thing was seeing my husband so upset too. I have to admit that I think I can now count on two fingers the amount of times I've seen my husband shed tears, this being the second. You really feel like you cross over in moments like this to greater fulfill your roll as a parent. You experience feelings and emotions that you aren't so familiar with but know they come from the love you have for your child. I kept wishing the whole time that I could take on the pain and sickness she was going through, that she could be spared from this whole ordeal and feel normal again.


I know trials like this in our lives help us understand how our Heavenly Father must feel and I'm grateful to be able to turn to him and have a husband who turns to him too. I'm so grateful for blessings and the priesthood and prayer. I know without a doubt that as scary as this was, we were so blessed to have the ambulance come as soon as they did, and normally when you call Health link you can be on hold for over 30 minutes. We got through in 30 seconds! I've never gotten through to a nurse that fast, and it was a great thing that we did.
I'm happy we were able to come home tonight, I don't know what I would do if anything more terrifying happened to her and I wasn't able to prevent it. She is my everything, and whole purpose to my life now. I love her beyond my own comprehension.
I'd like to thank our family members for all their support today. My sister Jenn was luckily there when I was on the phone to 911 and even helped carry Brooklynn to the ambulance. I know my family and Jason's family kept us in their prayers, and I'm glad Jason's parent's were able to come straight to the hospital to show their love and support. It means so much to us.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a scary situation!! Laila had a seziure but not even close to that extent!! I can't imagine have watching all that!! What did the doctors say it was? Did she hve the flu? Glad she is doing better though!! :)

jjandb said...

Wow suzanne, I am so sorry to hear of your experiance. In moments like that "perspective" doesn't even come close to what you are given afterwards. It is both a nightmare and a blessing to be reminded what means the most and how fragile everything really is. We are so blessed to have knowledge of the plan of salvation...I don't think I could be a mother without that.

That was certainly traumatic, your family is in our prayers. I hope you are all recovered soon!

xo

KYLE FAMILY said...

Suzanne I am almost crying reading this, you are so strong! I can't think of anything in the world scarier than seeing your child like that. I'm so glad she is home and better, what a sweet little girl, she is so lucky to have a mom that loves her more than anything!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Suzanne! I am so sorry to hear that this happened. I am so glad she is home and doing better. You never know what to expect as a parent. This kind of thing really does make you re-evaluate a few things. Please call if you need anything!! Hope to see you and your little one soon.