Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Another Nightmare Re-lived

Last night Jason and I went over to our friends house down the hall after we put Brooklynn to bed. It's really nice living on the same floor with so many good friends, and it sure makes it easy to hang out when you can sneak over with just a baby monitor. We've been able to take advantage of that quite a bit and I love how it makes me feel like I have more of a social life than not, especially when I have been home all day, and had a real lack of adult conversation and can't for the life of me get the theme songs from Treehouse out
of my head.

We probably had a little too late of a night yesterday but in hindsight I am SO glad we did. I went over to check on Brooklynn at 11pm because she hadn't made a peep, and even though that's normal I sometimes get a little paranoid when things are quiet and wonder if I have the monitors on the right channels. She was sound a sleep on her side with a binky in her mouth. I checked her forehead to see if she was warm and that sort of startled her so I quickly snuck out of the room so she would continue to sleep. I headed back over to Austin and Lisa's to finish the Cake Boss premier with everyone. We ended up staying there until midnight, and finally dragged our tired bodies back home. I was a little irritated that I had stayed up so late, I normally like to be in bed before 11pm. I quickly brushed my teeth and while I was doing so Jason went to check on Brookynn. Looking at her is the last thing either of us do before our heads hit the pillow, I don't really fall asleep until I know she is peacefully sleeping.
Jason yelled my name from her room and as I came running around the corner i saw him holding her in his arms and she was convulsing. I guess when he saw her, her eyes were rolling back into her head and she was quivering at the mouth. NOT AT ALL what you want to see when you walk in, and as much of a nightmare as it is to know she's having another febrile seizure, I was glad we caught it when we did because it was just at the beginning stage. Like I said, we were meant to stay up that late. I don't even want to think about the possibility of us having slept while she went through that.
We quickly jumped in the car and I held her in the back seat while Jason drove. We got to the Rockyview in about 30 seconds, literally. Poor Brooklynn was quivering in my arms and spewing up all over my shoulder. We were admitted into Emergency after a nurse with brains looked at Brooklynn, grabbed her and ran with her to get her into a room. The previous nurse said, "okay take a place in line and wait". Jason was livid, and replied "Are YOU freaking kidding me!?" I am glad he did that, I was so shook up to have any words roll off my tongue in that moment.
The doctor was right there to see her, and he was a very good doctor to deal with a baby. We heard that most doctors don't really know what to do when a baby arrives there. The nurses poked and prodded at her little body while giving her oxygen, and she eventually stopped convulsing, and was whimpering and crying while her little body fought with complete exhaustion. When babies have seizures it is equivalent to them running a marathon. At first she didn't read with a temperature, so they ruled it as being some other type of seizure and wanted to do a lot of tests, including a cat scan. It turned out that the thermometer wasn't working right so they took an internal reading and it came back at 39.2 C. I still have no idea why she ran a fever, she was fine all day and seems pretty good today. We're all really little tired as our night went well into the early morning, but we're relieved and on the mend with this experience. I hope she doesn't have anymore, if she does she may be at risk for developing more and more or possibly epilepsy. I keep praying that this isn't going to be anymore serious, and thanking Heavenly Father that she is okay and that we were able to be there when we needed to be.










7 comments:

Jen Low said...

I wanted to cry when I read this post! Those pictures are adorable, sad, and heartwrenching all at the same time. Brooklynn looks like she's trying to be such a brave, big girl. I love that picture of you two at the bottom, how precious is that?

I'm sorry you had to go through this again. I can't believe you checked on her right when she was beginning to seize, that's such a miracle! I'm glad she's okay. Let me know if you need me to help, I'm right across the hall :)

Lisa said...

Oh and it breaks your heart to see little Brooklynn sitting in a hospital bed! After you guys left I was thinking it was weird you stayed that late because you are usually wanting to go to bed earlier. Good thing for Ultimate Cake Off! I`m so glad she is doing better!

Anonymous said...

OH Suzanne! I am so sorry you had to go through that again. What a poor little thing. How horrifying to see her go through that, and yet you were so blessed to be there with her. I hope that she is doing better!

Elizabeth said...

Oh mY goodness!! Suzanne I totally cried reading that. I hope that she has no episodes like this one again. I'm glad that there was a doctor right there to look at her. What a blessing!!! I will definitely keep her in my prayers!!! Hope everything is om now though!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is so scary! Glad to hear she is doing better. Hope it doesn't happen again! Love the picture of you two at the bottom, it is precious!

Cat and Blake Potter said...

you have me in tears. I am so sorry you are going through this, especially your little angel Brooklyn, however you seem to have such a positive outlook on everything. I hope and pray for the best, she's lucky to have you two as her parents.

Megan C said...

I think it's amazing how Heavenly Father watches over His little ones! I am so glad that you and Jason were able to be there for sweet Brooklynn! We love her and you guys so much!