Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter

I'm not good at taking photos sometimes. My mind just slips a little more often these days. I didn't get ONE picture of my family on Easter Sunday!!! My little girls looked darling in their dresses. I'll have to dress them up again and do a mock Easter Sunday photo.
Easter was great this year. It was SO much fun to do an egg hunt with Brooklynn. Saturday we gave Brooklynn her Easter loot and later that morning we drove over to Nana and Grandpa's house (they were in Invermere) and I hid a bunch of eggs in the basement with Jason. Amanda came by and joined us. We hid some larger eggies for her. We really put her to work though and hid them in tricky spots. It was pretty funny to see her so into it and yet get frustrated with it too.
Brooklynn's was pretty easy but man oh man did she get excited when she found them in even the most obvious of places. She would yell out the colour, show it to us and then toss it into her basket.
I don't want to know how much chocolate my child consumed that day. I think I'd be happier not knowing and making sure we don't come close to that amount for a LONG time!
I also don't want to know how much I consumed either. Shame on me. I was out of control and poor Alivia is paying for it and I feel awful. I'm going another month without junk food and this time it's more of a punishment.
So enough about Easter egg hunts and chocolate. I started Sunday morning off watching some Mormon Messages about the Savior, ones that focused on Easter and the resurrection. What a beautiful tone they set that morning as I watched them with Brooklynn. We enjoyed them during Alivia's morning nap together.
About an hour or so before we were to leave for church Alivia started crying like REALLY crying or rather she started to SCREAM for a LOOOOONG time. I was loosing my mind and starting to go crazy and just wanted to cry myself. She went on for over 30 minutes which feels like 30 hours when you hear it non stop. I said to Jason, "I don't think I can go to church today" he replied saying, "you probably need to go to church if you feel that way". I knew that too but I'm glad he said it.
I sucked it up and laid Alivia on the counter (still screaming) while I finished my hair and make-up. Jason was tying some loose ends together with his lesson, and because I carry the car seat to church and he carries Brooklynn I went on ahead of them (I'm a little slower so they'd catch up). I was frazzled beyond belief still and just kept my fingers crossed that she'd calm down.
The moment I opened the door to the building and headed towards the church she stopped crying. I could only pay attention to the peacefulness of that moment and how beautiful it was outside and the gorgeous sunshine above me. I just wanted to cry but this time because I was so over-joyed. I thought of my Savior and how I just need to suck it up more and trust in him, and then go, and do. My stress and burden of that morning floated away and I was filled with so much joy as I headed across the parking lot. It was like I hadn't experienced any ordeal and all was well. I'm glad I made the right decision and was going to be where I needed to be more then I even knew that day. I shared this experience later that Sunday in Relief Society. Then lesson title was Trust in the Lord... then Go and Do. So have faith and don't give up and continue trusting in him.
I can't believe how much I got out of that one day when I was so close to missing out.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love Easter for all the chocolate. It is seriously the best. Glad your family had a good Easter.

Sorry about your bad moment before church. I totally know how you feel. Sadie screamed straight for 8 months non stop. It was so draining and there were days I just wanted to put my kids in a room and let them scream all they want and I could do whatever I want in another room. Glad that it turned out better for you once you got to church.

Bill and Nina Smith said...

What a wonderful story and personal experience to illustrate how God can not only smooth out the road ahead of us, but as you said, make it seem as if the very rough road we were on never even existed. I had a similar experience when we moved from Gander to Moncton that I will share with you sometime. Very proud you and you beatuiful family Suzanne. Give Brooklyn and big hug and kiss from Grandpa Bill

Love you lots

Dad

Bill and Nina Smith said...

Suzanne, it was late when I wrote that email and this text box obvioulsy doesn't have a spell checker. Please give Alivia a hug and kiss as well.