Monday, November 22, 2010

Potty Progress

We've been REALLY casual over here with the potty. To best describe what I mean by "casual" is that we have a potty but I'm not trying to potty train Brooklynn, at all, really. I haven't even picked up any potty training literature either, I've just listened to random advice via other mommies when the topic should arise.
Amidst the topic/ discussion of potty training I have heard it's NOT a good a idea to try and potty train your child before a big change occurs in their life. It's safe to say new sibling is a BIG change.
We still talk about the potty and she likes to venture in the bathroom when Jason and I use "our potty", we point to hers and say "Brooklynn's potty" and then our's again and say, "momma's potty".
For the most part the only interest she took in it was trying to make the music go off. If you touch two metal sensors at the bottom of the tray it'll play a celebration jingle. I wasn't excited for her to discover that at first because she would get frustrated with her potty, completely disassemble it and whine when she couldn't get the music going. All of that being said and the above is the extent of potty experiences over here, UNTIL this past week.
She decided to SIT a couple days ago(with all her clothes on) and sat on it for a while and said things like "pee pee". I embraced her courage and high-five'd her for big girl efforts. She kept that up, and usually sat on her potty while I would sit on mine. Then she sat on it with only a diaper on a couple days later. This was a big deal because anytime I previously mentioned pulling pants down or taking her diaper off she would squeal.
So the other day we were getting ready to take a shower and she was completely naked in the bathroom and she sat on her potty. I kept asking her if she had to go pee-pee but she didn't say to much, just sat there. I was really excited because I thought for sure when I turned on the water in the tub she'd have to go. I turned on the water, turned around to watch her and she stood up and went pee all over the bathroom floor, then sat back down on the potty when she was done. I told her I was sad and attempted reasoning... We will see where things go from here-
stay tuned folks!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I really hope that Princess and her Potty book I got her will nudge her in the right direcetion (ie, peeing in the potty). At least she sat on it willingly!! Way to go Brookie!

Elizabeth said...

Good old Potty training. I too have heard that potty training before a big change is not so good. I hope that Brooklynn does well when you guys both decide to get down and just train her. It's SO much work. Laila still time to time will have an accident cause she holds on to it too long. Good luck! I'm excited to hear about her progress.